Thursday, April 8, 2010

Yes- it's been a while...

I know... I know... the chores had to be done, the paperwork filled out, the shopping and cooking and cleaning....it never ends does it?

Yes-thank you to many emails of...What's for Dinner? this week!  I have not flown by the seat of my pants, but definately had to put my blogging on hold so I could get my first priorities done or at least caught up since 3 family birthdays, two sets of out of town guests, soccer spring season opener and a few events at the club!

My menu this week has consisted of the following:

Monday: family night we went to Brett's softball championship-they lost :(, then out to Hooters for some wings!
Tuesday: formal at the club - as well as a date night with hubster
Wednesday: Crustless Spinach & Feta Pie (recipe to follow), Roasted Asparagus with Garlic
Thursday:  Grilled Chicken Asian Salad
Friday: family is on their own - I have a Pampered Chef trunk show in Boca
Saturday: charity event at the club for Breast Cancer - "Playing in Pink"
Sunday: Old Fashioned Sunday Dinner - Roasted Chicken, Potatoes, Greens, and fresh fruit

Recipe: Crustless Spinach & Feta Pies (a quick take on Spanakopita)
courtesy of Food Network Kitchens Cookbook

1 T extra-virgin olive oil
1 10oz package frozen spinach, thawed
4 scallions, thinly sliced
3 eggs
1 T bread crumbs
2 t dried mint
1 1/4 t kosher salt
fresh ground pepper
pinch of cayenne
1/2 cup Feta cheese

Preheat oven 400 degrees.  Heat oil in skillet, and add drained spinach and scallions and cook, stirring until dry, about 4 minutes.  Transfer to colander and squeeze out any additional mositure.  Brush 4-6oz ramekins with olive oil and place on baking sheet.

Transfer spinach ingredients and rest of ingredients except Feta to a food processor-pulse until finely chopped.  Remove blade and stir in Feta.  Bake until edges are set, but slightly soft in center-about 20 minutes.  Turn oven off and leave for 5 additional minutes.  Invert onto plate and serve with a veggie salad or Tazatiki Sauce-Yum!

My variation:  I added a bit more Feta on the top, and a few cloves of garlic.  I also made mine in a 9x9 and doubled the recipe to have leftovers to share with my neighbor and have for breakfast!  I cut it into 12 pieces and served two per person.  :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the reciepe. i added it to my collection to try it.

barb said...

no problem! It was delicious, I originally had it for dinner, then it wa a great breakfast item a few mornings. I would definately add a little more heat to it (spice) and garlic!